Thursday, August 23, 2012

Is that a tube up your nose?!?!?!?!?!?



Well.....my Crohn's journey continues.  I have had a feeding tube placed and will be 'eating' this way for a month.  As shocking as it may be to some, I feel it is the lesser of two evils. 
Let me back up a bit and go over the last couple of months.
Once Paleo put me in remission, I stopped taking the steroids.  Things started to decline a bit and so, in trying to halt any progression, I went back on the steroids.  The steroids work as usual and a month later I could go off of them.  Well, again, symptoms start to peek through and I was back on the steroids.  Well.....this time, the steroids stop working.  My arthritis was intense, I started having eye issues (look up extra intestinal manifestations of Crohn's) , along with appetite loss and nausea.  My doc wanted to try Prednisone. (Uh, NO THANKS!!!)  The side effects of Pred are gnarly, I wanted to avoid it altogether.  There has been a lot of research lately showing that Enteral Nutrition (tube feeding) is nearly as effective as Pred!  It allows the guts to rest while returning the gut bacteria to where it needs to be. So here I am.
They inserted it yesterday, and I start the feeding today. It is a bit more than I expected and I must admit that I have had some doubts about this decision.
I'm still a bit gaggy and sore but that should let up in a day or two.
I'll keep my blog updated......thanks for coming over and checking up on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment